Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Digraphs
Date: Jan 31, 2002 @ 00:08
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: "granthutchison"

>Michael:
> > all very well put jesper
>Yes indeed.
>
> > there is more to it
> > which we have been experimenting with
> > & i will explain all that if anyone is really interested
>Me me. I'm really interested.
>And some summary of this should end up in the file area at some time,
>so that newbies and old hands alike can refer to it. Maybe now is the
>time to formalise what has up to now been informal?

well as usual this will be much too condensed
& i dont really know where to start

ah but let me insert
http://groundhog.gohdnu.org
before i forget
for any further palindromic groundhog millennium festivities
as well as for a subsequent topic

now about what people are calling digraphs
i think peter herings use of alternating upper & lower case for the diglyphs
comprising all the tricountry point hexaglyphs is the kings english or
danish or austrian or whatever he talks
for distinguishing those very distinguished points
especially since he is the king of the world class anyway
so i feel this style must be honored for both of these excellent reasons

yes his is a bumpy ride
but i would take it myself if i still had any caps left

also i should probably explain up front that all these diglyphs hexaglyphs
etc on all levels are specifically so called rather than di graphs or hexa
grams or something else
normally only when their hieratic or divinatory aspect is being addressed

for it often seems that each group of glyphs is actually trying to utter or
otherwise reveal something distinctive about its point
but gohd that is an excursion for later on

for now
descending from the world class i think lower case naturally rules
everywhere else for its ease & convenience & quietude

but in addition to the normal diglyphs the cardinal & semicardinal
directions have long been recognizable here at the end of our normal
hexaglyphs
as 7th &or 8th characters normally
& we have even recently scrambled the semicards for special cases
but only when necessary
& only if the correct readings are practically forced

we also have been adding h & l for hi & low points
similarly c for centerpoints
& in special cases such as the triple tripoint kymotn
inventions such as
kymotnu with u as in upper
kymotnm with m as in middle &
kymotnl with l as in lower
almost present themselves
tho it is always worth thinking about setting best possible precedent
whenever precedent is necessary

otherwise alphabetical order of course rocks
tho i could imagine varying from it for emphasis or art
as for example at usorca

for identifying points beneath the level of the world class
whenever it is necessary to avoid all possible confusion
the applicable universes & their levels again seem to present themselves
thus us2ctmany helps to identify ctmany as in the secondary level of the usa
in case someone draws a blank on what the heck it might be
or usfl3glhemaokpa helps to identify & place this quintitertiary point
in the florida subset of the usa subset

it gets to be even more fun when you have to invent the diglyphs impromptu &
from scratch
normally for tertiary entities or beyond
& there are many worms nests & cans of hornets lurking here

but the strange part is that to me at least all the above seems intuitive &
antisystematic really
while i admit all these prefixes & number usages are hideously technical &
pedantic if you are already in the know about the point being identified
so they are probably best used sparingly & with a twinkle

again all these formats & styles have evolved only out of simple
straightforward necessity & arent really any one persons idea

jack was using most of them in his books
yes lets be clear it isnt just jacks book but jacks trilogy
& david too was on the web with them before they appeared on a website that
was made for me in 1997 & now expanded by the above link

only afterwards did brian & i develop them further
& only after that did bill even find us & create bp around the multipointing
idea
all owing to a gaffe we never made at the int boundaries list

ah but this isnt the half of it yet & my time is up again
& ten bucks well spent

so cheerio for now
& dont know when we will continue
but please feel free to do so