Subject: moldovan enclave?
Date: Jan 23, 2002 @ 00:56
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <b.whyte@...>)

>Do you have any other source confirming this? Peter's first source
>stipulates a 7.7km road and a total area of only 18ha - which is a
>road-shaped strip 7.7km long and 23m wide. The southern pastures cover
>about 6sq.km, and seem therefore not be included. On the basis of
>this, I've so far been assuming a bit of journalistic waffle in the
>second source - that the farmers might have needed passports to *cross
>the road* to get to their pastures, and the journalist has taken the
>necessity for passports to indicate that the fields themselves are in
>the Ukraine.

No, my sources are just what i've been reading on this group, but i presume
an agreement to transfer the road, Vennbahn style, would have mentioned the
Vennbahn as the inspiration in the parliamentary debates in the article. I
am willing to be wrong, but I think the formation of a true enclave would
have had specific mention of that made. The opposition seem most likely to
be stirred up less by the road transfer than by pastures, 'soil of the
motherland' etc. Of course, as in the Cooch Behar case, journos and even MPs
frequently get their facts WAY wrong in such cases. An actual copy of the
agreement is what we need.

BW