Subject: Re: Turkish exclave in Syria?
Date: Jan 19, 2002 @ 21:40
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> > So it was still Turkish enough in the middle of last year for them
> > to be spending big money on it.
> then its a frag&perf
> isnt it
Well, it seems more like one of Arif's virtual enclaves to me. The
treaty wording is that the tomb "will be the property of Turkey, and
Turkey will place guards there and will raise the Turkish flag."
There's no mention of it being on Turkish soil, so it seems more like
an embassy than an enclave - sitting on top of Syria, rather than
perforating it.

> & so how does your ongoing worldwide frag&perf census stand now with
> this & the new uruguayan islands added
So far 278 perfs and 338 frags, what with one thing and another. I'll
upload a new file to replace the old one soon.

> also have you factored in the newfound condo areas
I've been ignoring condos in my border survey - since I'm working from
93 basic nations, the condos constitute some sort of blurring of the
border region but don't change the topology of what borders on what
else. (As far as I can see. Anyone disagree?)

> eshoni
El Salvador/Honduras/Nigeria? Wow.

> or are you looking complete now with these additions
I always think I'm looking complete, but I never am. I just try to
update the Perfs & Frags file whenever anything new comes along. Ray
has mentioned a new Moldovan exclave in the Ukraine to me, for
instance, but I have no details.
Meanwhile, for the border survey, I'm waiting for a copy of Jane's
Exclusive Economic Zones, to get some up-to-date border information on
my chosen maritime zone.
Grant