Subject: Re: Inner Cyprus bordersign in Nicosia
Date: Jan 04, 2002 @ 15:14
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Hering" <hering@m...> wrote:
> Hello folks,
> just read an interesting article on the Cyprus question...
> The division of Cyprus might become a very difficult
> issue for the EU when - and if - Cyprus gains
> membership of the Union in a couple of years...
>
> Attached a picture of two Turkish police officers at
> the Inner Cyprus border...(why do they look so happy...?)
> Peter H.

I wish a sign like this existed when and where my family and I
accidently (and illegally) crossed the border from the Republic of
Cyprus to the Turkish Republic of Cyprus.

In November 1983 my family and I moved back to Saudi Arabia but found
out that the visas in our Passports were temporary resident visas and
not full time resident visas. The visa situation could only be
corrected outside of Saudi Arabia. So we went to Cyprus (the most
local European destination to us) during our Christmas holidays for a
nice vacation and time to get the visas fixed. While in Cyprus we
stayed in a place east of Larnaca

While there my father rented a car and we toured most of the main
tourist attractions. One day we decide to go further east from our
hotel (rather than the usual west) to see what was over there. After
a while we passed through a village and notice that the flag flying
was the Turkish Cypriot flag, not the Republic of Cyprus that we were
use to. We determined that we must have inadverinatly crossed the
border via the Dhekelia SBA (No UN Buffer zone) and that we were no
in Turkish Republic of Cyprus.

My father rather quickly turned the car around (This being the first
time he drove a RHD car and in a somewhat stressful situatuion, he
rolled down the window rather than swiched gears and stalled the
engine)and headed back to the hotel. Crossing the internal border is
illegal in most places in Cyprus and on top of that we were not
carring our Passports and it was forbidden to take the rental car to
the other side. Luckly for us we were not stopped and returned safly
to the hotel.

A few days later we got our Passports back and headed back to our new
home in Saudi Arabia.

In November 2000, my parents legally went to the Turkish Republic of
Cyprus for a similar reason. At the time my parents were living in
Turkey and my mother's temporary visa was about to expire, so they
went to the Turkish Republic of Cyprus for a weekend and got a new
visa when they returned to Turkey.

-Andrew
(Legal border crossings by car about 10, illegal crossings 1)