Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Report on Wlodawa visit
Date: Jan 02, 2002 @ 21:37
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@...>)

Peter S. wrote:

> It looks like the tripoint might not be a thalweg junction after all.
> The dash-dot line is not everywhere on the border: the byua boundary
> seems to follow a path over some length here, and the purple shade is
> much more an indicator for the exact location of the border.

The dash-dot line sometimes switches sides and can be seen on both
the west and the east banks of the river. No way of finding out why
withough more detailed maps and/or an on site inspection.

>> A close-up picture of border marker #1136, a couple of hundred
>> metres south of #1137. This border marker is not indicated on the
>> attached map. (...)
> The border marker is there alright. The number isn't.

You're right, of course.

>> (...) My guess is that the abbreviation _ceram._ has got something
>> to do with the border marker, but I've not been able to ascertain
>> its meaning; it's not in the list of used abbreviations. (Any
>> ideas?) > (...)
> My idea is that it might be the location of a (now disused??)
> ceramics factory. The abbreviation ceram. definitely stands
> for "ceramiczny". But it could stand for something else as well, of
> course.

Of course, it's Poland. Directly north of marker #1136 there's only a
meat processing plant ("zakład mięsny"). Anyhow, it doesn't explain
why they would have left out the number of the border marker.

-Pepijn
--
pepijnh@... -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220