Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: "Pene-enclave"
Date: Dec 13, 2001 @ 23:52
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

I use the word 'singularity' in my thesis, because they are unusual, and
joined by only a single point, and because they rtepresent a 'magic moment':
An ideal country is circular with the capital at the centre. Just as a drop
of water or mercury will try to form a circle (compare Geopolitik ideas of a
state as a living entity). A drop of water, or a cellular organism, or a
country by analogy, can grow a bulge that becomes a peninsula, whose neck
then gets narrower and narrower, until it disappears entirely and one is
left with 2 drops of water, 2 celluar organisms or one country and an
exclave (or an island if the peninsula was coastal and not sticking into
another country).
There is a magic moment when a coastal peninsula is eroded down to a single
point, where it is both connected and disconnected. On the coast it lasts
but an instant. But if the peninsula was a salient into another country, the
magic moment can be frozen in time, as at Baarle or Jungholz or Cooch Behar.
Thus 'singularity' as the enclave is both connected (by a point) and
disconnected (for all practical purposes).

Brendan