Subject: Re: reflections on the crosses old & new
Date: Dec 12, 2001 @ 20:05
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> has prompted me to focus
> again even if still a bit prematurely on our whole phenomenal
collection of
> world class boundary crosses
How can you tell if the boundaries cross? Is it by the numbering of
the monuments?
Because in general I find the notion of crossed boundaries a little
odd. If I am walking clockwise around H1 in Baarle with Baarle-Hertog
on my right, it seems strange to be suddenly walking around H2 in an
anticlockwise direction with Baarle-Hertog on my left. I'd rather not
reverse the intrinsic vector of my boundary, and would prefer to
bounce off the shared point to circumnavigate H2 clockwise too,
keeping Baarle-Hertog on the right.
In fact, I'd rather ignore the monument numbers and accept a universal
rule that:
Widdershins (anticlockwise) = entity always on left
Deasil (clockwise) = entity on always on right
With this scheme, you can circumnavigate H1 with or without H2, and H2
with or without H1. Without it, you end up doing sneaky
figure-of-eights and shifting your entity from left to right.

Grant