Subject: Re: Another Berlin border anomaly
Date: Dec 12, 2001 @ 18:49
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Re your "all the exclaves disappeared at the same time" (as in 1988?)
isn't quite true. I visited many of the exclaves after the DDR ceased
to exist, and found they still belonged to Berlin as a city, and were
parts of Berlin as a city in the DDR right up to the DDR's
assimilation into the FRG. I did hear later that the Berlin Senate
changed some of the city borders to eliminate it having pieces of the
City in other "Bundeslaender"... I guess they thought if the
occupation should return, they didn't want the problems of exclaves to
deal with anymore.

Right now the only anomaly left (outside of Embassy property) that I
know of is the Russian Memorial near the Brandenburg Gate. It had
extraterritorial rights while it was in the British Sector, and those
rights, to the best of my knowledge, remain unchanged even today.

I'm not certain whether extraterritoriality also applies to the
Russian Cemetary in the former Soviet Zone; whether it had
extraterritorial status from the DDR while the DDR was maintaining
that the Soviet Zone was DDR territory and promoted as the "Hauptstadt
der DDR", that carried over beyond cessation of occupation.

If you want to talk about anomalies, maybe we ought to open a
discussion of the Soviet Military Liaison Missions in West Germany -
the US had a military governor excercizing sovereign rights over a
small plot in Frankfurt, Germany that the Russians occupied, the
establishment of which predated the founding of the German Federal
Republic and survived until the wall opened, when the Russians
abandoned it. The Americans transferred sovereignty to the Germans
in 1990 or thereabouts, who tore down the buildings - there are German
apartments for asylum seekers there now. It had a big sign on the
front gate that said, in German, "Extraterritorial Facility of the US
Military Government. [signed] (a name of a General), Military
Governor, Frankfut US Military Community. No Photographing or
Recording. For Information call [tel no.]" It was very different
from US Army & Air Force Bases. GIs were prohibited by military
law from visiting the site.

Regards
LN

Regards