Subject: Re: nysw and pane report
Date: Dec 10, 2001 @ 12:45
Author: bjbutlerus ("bjbutlerus" <bjbutler@...>)

I agree that the leaner probably is not Ellicottian, but I disagree
that NYSW, PANE, and NJE are "similar" to PAN. True, they are all
made of stone. But, in my view, the similarity ends there. With
respect to proportions, finish of the stone faces, inscription style,
shape of the top, shape of the botton, and taper NYSW, PANE, and NJE
are identical. PANE differs markedly in all of these parameters.

My notes do not indicate any date on the PANE monument other than
1790, but if you are saying the style and quality of the stone
indicates a later vintage I would agree. Maybe we could conduct a
virtual field trip by asking the folks at the Lakeside RV Park to walk
over and transcribe the entire inscription on that monument.

BJB

> you are right mr butlerus about the nje njnypa witness match as
these 2 came first & both date from 1882 but dont you also see that
all 5 ny witness stones including pane nysw & pan all dating from the
early 1880s are far more similar than dissimilar in size shape etc as
well as distinctly unlike any others & certainly not of ellicott
vintage in any case or are you still believing that too