Subject: substandard dutch territorial sea in question
Date: Dec 10, 2001 @ 00:03
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@...>)

From: "ps1966nl" <smaardijk@...>
>Subject: Re: Neuwerk -> internal waters at sea
>
>Looking at a Dutch topo map, one can see municipal and provincial
>boundaries drawn in the Wadden Sea. I think the Wadden Sea can be
>considered internal waters.
>
>Looking at these same maps, however, one can see a provincial
>boundary at some distance from the (North Sea, this time) coast.
>Inside boundary, the sea belongs to the respective coastal
>municipalities. How the situation is outside of this provincial
>boundary, I honestly don't know.

me neither but without a map in view this situation smacks of the
topological model we have already met in the usa & oz where there is a
typically 3nm band of state territorial waters along the coast or baselines
within the 12nm band of national territorial sea so this might be a partial
allocation of the dutch territorial sea to its provinces not in terms of
3nm here at all necessarily but somehow

>It seems unlikely to me that the
>provincial boundary is the baseline here.

i agree entirely unlikely

>It is also strange that
>this boundary doesn't follow the coastline closely, but is made up of
>straight segments between certain turning points, that often coincide
>with specific points in the Dutch topo grid. The distance between
>this boundary and the coast is variable. Sometimes it is just 1 km to
>the coastline, but sometimes as much as 3 km. At the west of
>Walcheren, Zealand province, there is even a very strange "detour" of
>this border, where Flushing (Vlissingen) municipality gets an area up
>to more than 6 km from the coast (the part between Westkapelle and
>Domburg, which doesn't even belong to Flushing), as well as the
>entire Westerschelde estuary, right up to the Zealandic-Flemish coast
>(municipalities of Oostburg and Sluis-Aardenburg).

clearly all the result of some careful negotiation or other intensive
application of government but apparently still just the topologic
equivalent of the usa or oz state limits tho again i am way out on a limb
without seeing the map

but heck thats where the fruit is right

>(BTW I don't know whether this is still the case after another round
>of municipalities merging a couple of years ago. My map dates from
>before that)
>
>So my question is: can we consider the strip of North Sea in between
>the coast and the provincial boundary to be internal waters?

since you seem to have indicated that the provincial maritime territory
extends everywhere seaward of the coast & have given no hint of islands
seaward of the provincial limit i would guess that the provincial north sea
seas are outside the baseline & therefore within the dutch national
territorial sea & therefore not internal waters

>Is the
>Dutch 12 nm territorial water zone counted from this boundary (which
>I think is unlikely),

agreed

>or from a baseline which is at the low tide
>coast line?

but of course unless you are concealing some islands or deep bays etc from me

>In that case, the belt of Dutch territorial waters is
>narrower than the 12 nm.

but wait because i really really think i absolutely followed you up to this
point yet now i think i have completely lost you & this would be staggering
news anyway if true i mean your conclusion may be correct & is certainly
exciting but could you say again how you got there