Subject: Re: oldest purely 'fiat' international boundary?
Date: Dec 05, 2001 @ 03:30
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Did anyone in this thread about "fiat" boundaries mention the
Roman Limes that stretched across western central Europe? It was
demarcated by putting watchtowers up in many places and trenches
between the towers. Messages were passed up and down the line by
signals from tower to tower. What was south of the line was Roman and
what was north was considered barbaric. It doesn't follow any
particular marking on the ground in many places. The portion I know
well, in the German state of Hessen runs diagonally across open
fields, up and across the Taunus mountain range, and was more or less
established wherever the troops stopped advancing. The Germans
rebuilt the stockade-like wooden fortress near the town of
Taunusstein, and from the museum, it becomes clear this was a real
border that stretched hundreds of KM on the continent. If I remember
right, Hadrian's wall was just a continuation of it across the British
Isles. I don't recall that Hadrian's wall particularly followed along
geographically convenient elements such as streams, etc.
I didn't look anything up before writing this, it's from memory, and
may be sketchy, but on balance, I think it is a proper example to make

Len Nadybal
Washington DC

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/