Subject: a truly awesome conjunction
Date: Dec 02, 2001 @ 00:54
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

> From: dtilque@...
>Subject: Re: Extreme westerly, easterly and southerly palindromes
>
>--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
>wrote:
>>
>> A search for the southernmost unqualified palindrome turns up the
>> town of Yutuy in Chile at 42 31 S. There are no contenders in
>> Argentina or Australia, and the sub-Antarctic islands don't turn up
>> any unqualified place names. GeoNet lists a mountain called
>> simply "Gog" in New Zealand at 47 11 50 S, but I'm not sure this
>> goes entirely unqualified - GeoNet frequently lists topographic
>> features without qualifiers.
>
>Some years ago, I ran across a locality named Glenelg that would
>probably be in Southland, New Zealand. This was in a reference that
>was fairly old (and I don't remember the name of it) because it gave
>the county not the province. New Zealand used to have counties once
>upon a time.
>
>This Glenelg, if it still exists, would be further south than Yutuy,
>Chile, and may or may not be further south than Mt. Gog.

& i would just like to qualify this comment by dan a little further because
i happen to know that he is one of the foremost pal seekers in the world as
well as coauthor of the ultimate pal sourcebook the palindromicon with a
kiwi named jeff grant who also happens to be a perennial world scrabble
champ or contender etc etc so i believe this possible amendment by dan is
no stray or casual suggestion for improvement but actually a resounding
acclaim for what was already accomplished by grant here as well as a
second try by the combined best human & best mechanical means in the world
for that is what i really think we now have here in this the most extreme
pal news tour ever made of the earth & i certainly do agree with all the
recent amendments & refinements for how could i stand in the way of such a
try pointing juggernaut