Subject: Re: Navarre; was: more about the newly reported quintipoints
Date: Dec 01, 2001 @ 20:12
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Anton Sherwood <bronto@p...> wrote:
> Peter Smaardijk wrote:
> > When this part [northern Navarre] became part of France,
> > the kings of France got the title "King of Navarre", too.
>
> Or the other way around.
>
> (In 1562, Henri de Bourbon succeeded his mother (to simplify
slightly)
> as king of Navarre; and in 1589 he succeeded a distant cousin as
king
> of France.)

Yes, true. It's just me oversimplifying things again. But after the
invasion of all but Lower Navarre by the Castilians (they tried to
get that part, too, but retreated in 1530), there was not a lot left
of the former kingdom. So when Henry III of Navarre decided that
Paris was worth a little mass, and thus became Henry IV of France as
well, it was a logical choice to make. Louis XIII did away with the
distinction of the two kingdoms (but keeping the title King of
Navarre, of course).

In between the invasion of the Castilians and Henry III becoming IV,
Lower Navarre was one big mess of religious and seigneurial wars.

Peter S.