Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Digest Number 525
Date: Nov 30, 2001 @ 22:12
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

>Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:50:12 -0500
> From: jamatotest <jamato@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: Guinness Book of Records
>
>Does anyone know how much of Russia's sea boundary adjoins the US? (Alaska,
>including the Aleutian islands?) I would suspect that figure would be pretty
>close to the ~2600km figure previously quoted for Greenland/Canada.
>
>Jon
>--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Harry ten Veen" <pa8km@a...> wrote:
>
>> longest coastal b. (Greenland - Canada)

also i am not sure about the estimate of 2600km here nor even whether this
cadk line really is the longest coastal boundary as guinness says since
there is at least 1 & possibly several easily missed high seas within the
supposedly singular cadk line where the passage opens up to more than 12nm
distance from lands of both countries

>Message: 15
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:20:12 +0200
> From: "Jan Krogh" <jakro64@...>
>Subject: Report from Vistytis

brilliant job jan
especially all the sleeping border guards
watching over all these improbably contorted circumstances
but who is dreaming all this

>Message: 17
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:01:42 -0500
> From: Jon Amato <jamato@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: cnkpru aka NKRuZh & nl
>
>It's about 4 hours drive-time from the CT-NY line to the DE-MD line on I-95,
>even in the middle of the night. I've done that drive on many occasions,
>driving from my parents' home in New York City to my home near Atlanta. The
>NY and NJ sections comprise about 135 miles of severely congested, badly
>rutted road - not to mention the tollbooths every 20 miles or so. You'd have
>to be suicidal to do more than 70mph on that road. Also, to include the PA
>section of I-95 involves a substantial detour through Philadelphia - it's
>not the most direct route.
>
>I'd venture that the RI-to NY trip (via CT,MA,NH,and VT) would be even
>longer. That is also not really a direct route, circling around couple of
>tripoints (CT-RI-MA, MA-VT-NH). If you're going to count that, then you
>should also count the 15 seconds it would take to walk through Colorado, New
>Mexico, Utah, and Arizona. :-)
>
>The PA-MD-WV-VA, and FL-AL-MS-LA trips are pretty much straight-line,
>staying on the same highway, and neither one comes anywhere near a tripoint.
>
>I had never noticed the Vermont neck, before. I knew that the Connecticut
>River formed the boundary between VT and NH, but it appears that Halls
>Stream (a small tributary of the Connecticut) forms the NH - Quebec
>boundary, about 3 km to the west. I wonder what the history is behind that?

>> & the most extreme states per hour strip is apparently either
>>
>> ri ct ma nh vt ny for backroaders
>>
>> or else
>>
>> ct ny nj pa de md for autobahners
>>
>> on either of which sequences i would think one could average at least 3
>states per hour for 2 straight hours in a fast car with a radar detector &
>good luck during the wee hours of a quiet morning

welcome jon by your name also

of course i wasnt advocating either of these tries nor any of these
comparisons but i think they would all be worthy adventures
& to be fair you would have to do azconmut 4corners by road too

the nutshell history of the vt gore
gore as in small triangular flap or sail shape
is that vt & nh both believed they owned it until 1912 when a 21year
lawsuit brought by vt in the united states supreme court ultimately won it
for vt
& that the confusion was probably a legacy of the independent indian stream
republic that occupied most of the 2 northwesternmost watersheds of modern
nh between 1829 & 1835 when nh absorbed it all & perhaps too much with the
gore since it lies west of the connecticut river which had been the
western limit of nh since colonial times