Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] PlByUa tripoint near Wlodawa
Date: Nov 28, 2001 @ 11:39
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@...>)

On Wednesday, 7 November 2001, I wrote from Lublin:

> The tripoint Poland-Belarus-Ukraine is not at all far from hear,
> being a few kilometres south of the city of Wlodawa in Poland.
> The border with Ukraine and Belarus is constituted by the river
> Bug, the Ukraine-Belarus border is a dry one.

[...]

> In return for you help now, I'll report on the tripoint when we've
> visited it :-)

We went out to Wlodawa last weekend. Unfortunately, due to bad
weather conditions (snow) we decided not to go all the way out to the
tripoint.

We did however peer into Belarus (and with that, watched into a
different time zone). The border river Bug is not very wide, about
twenty metres. I did not see any border guards, neither on the Polish
nor on the Belarusian side.

I went up to the river at two points. Please take a look at the map
on <http://www.gildor.ikp.pl/gildor/mapa-wlod.html> for reference.
Another map, less useful for the purpose of this message, may be
found at <http://strony3.wp.pl/wp/sp3.wlodawa/strony/mapa.html>. The
inlay on this latter map gives an impression of the location of
Wlodawa relative to Warsaw.

At the end of Ulica Lubelska (the main road out of town to Lublin),
entering the map in quadrant D1 and going all the way to the border.
We approached the street from the ul. Pilsudskiego. At the crossroad
with ul. Lubelska, in quadrant C5, there was a road sign indicating
directions to Lublin (left turn) and, I think, Biala Podlaska
(straight on). There was no indication whatsoever that if you made a
right turn at this crossroad, you'd end up at the country's border
within several hundred metres.

Walking down that road you'll pass an warning sign ("Granica
panstwa"), and several more when you go into the border area. A small
sand road finally leads up to the bank of the river. Crossing of the
border is forbidden, or so a sign says. There is a Polish border
marker (#1137) a few metres from the bank of the river. Nothing of
the kind was to be seen at the opposite, Belarusian bank. I do not
know where the border actually is (in the middle of the river?).

Turning back, we headed left (quadrant C6 on the map) and walked up
to the crossroad in quadrant D6. If you walk up to the river there,
you'll see border marker #1136. No warning signs or other indications
here other than the border marker itself.

I took several pictures of the border markers and the area around
(most notably of the various signs and warnings). I hope to get my
film developed sometime next week, and will post any pictures of
interest to the list.

Needless to say, I will undertake another attempt (probably in
spring) to get to the actual tripoint. I'd like to thank Brendan for
the map he provided of the area.

-Pepijn

--
pepijnh@... -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220