Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] 49th Parallel FunFacts
Date: Nov 26, 2001 @ 23:31
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Jones, "Boundary-making", Carnegie endowment, 1945.
fig.24 on p154 maps pillars 46 to 58. The bundary is the 'mean astronomic
parallel'. it does not coincide with the geodetically determined 49th due to
the effect of gravitational anomalies on the levelling of instruments.
If someone has a list of lats and longs for the pillars, why not convert the
dms to decimals, and plot them all in Excel as a graph. Then we can see how
sinusoidal the pillars are compared to the 49th itself.
Perhaps someone can develop a fourier series to describe the path of the
boundary joining the pillars which must be rather wave-like?

BW