Subject: Re: Fwd: Great circle distances
Date: Nov 24, 2001 @ 14:43
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> so i have to wonder if you cant simply do this calculation in reverse
>
> & if so then voila waorus is fait accompli

Yep, that's what I was going to do if we were measuring along a great
circle that started out due west. There's an approximation in there
because the great circle is going to slide a tad southwards in the
3nm, and so ends up over a bit of the earth with a different radius
from the starting point.
The maths is easier along the parallel because then all you need to do
is work out the circumference of that particular parallel in nautical
miles and do a division. And *that* would be do-able to random
accuracy within the limits of whatever model of the the ellipsoid you
cared to use.

Grant