Subject: Re: Three-dimensional boundaries
Date: Nov 24, 2001 @ 14:35
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Peter:
> Normally, boundaries are only two-dimensional, and as far as I know
> everything straight below and above the surface belongs to the
> country that IS that surface.
As I recall, that was part of the plot of a Heinlein story in the 50s,
called (I think) The Man Who Bought the Moon. The usual Heinlein
hard-nosed multimillionaire libertarian engineer bought the rights to
the moon from every country over which it passed in its orbit (~28.5
degrees N&S of the equator) for various paltry sums, and then (of
course) unveiled his mighty rocket, flew off and landed on it.

Grant