Subject: Re: double line bug & nautical miles
Date: Nov 23, 2001 @ 20:35
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> received values continue to proliferate from exactly 6076 feet to well
> beyond 6077 ft for it does now appear that the most prestigious
> authorities agree only upon exactly 6076 feet & 1 tenth yes 6076point1
> period tho many others still variegate crazily into 4 decimal places

I can variegate better than that - it says here the US nautical mile
was defined in 1954 as exactly 6076.11549ft.
Here in the UK we rejoice under a nautical mile that is supposed to be
equal to one minute of longitude at the equator: 6082.66ft. Out of a
sense of reality, the Admiralty rounded this to one "Admiralty mile":
6080ft.
Does anyone know why the US went for such unfeasibly submillimetric
accuracy?

Grant