Subject: Re: re recent dc & pr questions
Date: Nov 23, 2001 @ 20:13
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

I'll have to dig into this further, but my initial take on this is
that the second retrocession I mentioned did not involve the pierheads
as the 1945 Act specifically mentioned. Under that act, the
highwatermark on the VA side stayed at high level, noting that this
included south of 2nd St. Alexandria to the Jones Point. The second
retrocession was the Act of Feb 23, 1927, ceding Battery Cove, where
it says everythhing "from a line drawn at Jones Point at low water
mark" north to "Point Lumly, now Pioneer Mills, at low water mark" of
46.57 acres was ceded. That means everything south of Pioneer Mills
to Jones Point has as the boundary low water mark - matching the
Maryland low water mark ... unless the 1945 act undid this ad placed
the border back to high watermark by mentioning high water mark south
of 2nd street following the pierhead. There are no piers alonf the
whole stretch, especially at Jones PLoint, so it would seem at first
blush that when one passed the piers, the "pierhead" profile ended and
the boundary returnd to low water mark.

There was recently built a housing tract over the water, and I'm
wondering now how that changed the border. Whether the border here is
high or at low watermark, it seems to be in District airspace.

I have been at Jones point, and the border markers indicate something
other than the three borders coming to a single point. Maryland's
border seems to intersect the Virginia border at some 30-50 feet
north of the lighthouse. There is a border marker immediately
to the east of the lighthouse, about 10 feet away from it, showing
where the two 45-degree lines form the tip of the "old District"
used to meet when DC was a diamond, but MD's border doesn't hit at
that point. Maryland's border stone is on the flat land that forms
the Jones Point bluff, 6 feet above and 10 feet inland from thd water.
I'll have to drive over there and look at it again, and perhaps take
a couple of pictures for you.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., orc@o... wrote:
> yes len & major thanx for this & at least another dose of detail
here on principal speaking for at least several interested parties
present

> the only second retrocession i am aware of included some potomac
pierhead waters which it was technically impossible to retrocede to va
since potomac waters never were nor could be va but only md per royal
charters since charles ii

> the intensity of interest in this case arose because the dcmdvas
federative tripoint moved a pierheads length into the river from the
riparian initial monument point beneath jones point light

> & it has recently been fueled further by the realization of the
crazy fact that

> except for the pierhead exception
>
> dc reaches the high water mark on the right bank while md doesnt
reach beyond the low water mark there