Subject: Re: Groot Moerhof, on befr
Date: Nov 22, 2001 @ 17:50
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., orc@o... wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
>

> > So GCEBE¹s rule ³Never ask the locals, because
>
> > they don¹t know either² is certainly true here as well.
>

> in fairness & accuracy
>
> this guiding principle was actually first formulated years before
at demdpa=

> where a literally resident informant has been routinely &
deliberately misl=
> eading visitors about which of two very close markers is the true
tristate p=
> oint
>
> evidently in hopes of regaining some semblance of the privacy he
formerly e=
> njoyed before the heyday of try pointing reached him
>
> & i recall it was later reconfirmed near some african tripoints
>
> but it is by now fairly universal anyway

OK, credit where credit's due. I got this great rule from Jesper in
Baarle-Nassau, as he was summing up the Great Rules of Border Wisdom
which the GCEBEans learned during their quest.

> > PS: Yes, the food was good! So, if you are travelling with people
that

> > couldn¹t care less about boundaries (these people exist!), you can
>
> > always use this argument.....
>

> maybe i snipped it
>
> but which argument was that
>
> aw never mind
>
> but to be perfectly frank yet not brutal
>
> i would care far less about boundaries if they didnt lead to the
boundary p=
> oints aka multipoints that make such good try pointing targets
>
> & i am repeatedly surprised to see how much people here really do
care abou=
> t the boundaries themselves
>

> so can anyone offer to explain why they do care so much

I can explain why _I_ care so much: At a tripoint, there is normally
not a lot happening (with some exceptions: bedenl is fairly
touristic). They sometimes do have nice monuments, of course. Borders
have border crossings. Border crossings on tripoints are not really
that common, to say the least. (The exception here is bedenl again.
Well, not really bedenl, but benl border marker no. 1. About fifteen
years ago, I travelled with a friend by car from the Belgian side to
this point, expecting not to be able to travel any further than the
said point. Much to our surprise, we drove all the way past the
boundary marker and into the Netherlands. I think that is not
possible anymore.) I agree that tripoints are very exciting, but
there is more boundary than there is tripoint in this world (if it's
allowed to compare "singularity" to "linearity"), so there is more to
get happy about when you include these boundaries. Also, I like
history. And in history, boundaries change, and because of that the
tripoints. Not the other way around!

So it may be called boundary point, but for me it might as well be
called boundary line. (And for you, palindrome point, maybe ;-)
PalPoint sounds nice!)

Peter S.