Subject: Re: extreme pal quests advance
Date: Nov 20, 2001 @ 23:53
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> for it now appears that a feature on ellesmere island named
> otto fjord
> situated at about nlat 81 or 82 degrees
> enjoys the northernmost palindromic name in the world

I've just knocked together a primitive palindrome-detector in VB and
run it through the GeoNet downloadable files for Canada & Greenland.
Otto Fjord is at 81 10 N, but there's a stream in Greenland that caps
it. In fact there are four Greenlandic (qualified) palindromic
features north of Qaanaaq settlement:
Kajak stream 82 10 N
Hannah island 81 08 N
Resser cape 80 39 N
Qaanaaq glacier 77 30 N
Nothing in Svalbard or Russia protrudes above 82N, so Kajak stream is
the most northerly palindrome in the GeoNet data.

> but it should probably be stressed that qaanaaq nevertheless remains
the
> northernmost unqualified palindromic locality in the world
> so far as we know

And also the most northerly permanently inhabited palindrome, which is
maybe what I should have said first time - I was working from the
knowledge that Qaanaaq is the second most northerly town in the world,
and forgetting all those other bits of geography.

Grant