Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Remember Nederland??
Date: Nov 14, 2001 @ 16:55
Author: jamatotest (jamatotest <jamato@...>)

I'm going to unlurk from the list to comment on this one, as it involves
the history of my hometown, the Bronx...

The Bronx was named after Jonas Bronck, who, contrary to popular belief,
was not Dutch, but was actually a Swedish ship captain. Bronck and his
family were the first European settlers in what is today the Mott Haven area
of the South Bronx, landing there in 1639. Harlem was originally spelled
Haarlem, and was named after the Dutch town of the same name. The name
Brooklyn, as well, was a derivation of the name given it by the Dutch West
India Company, Breuckelen. The names were changed after the British
pushed out the Dutch in the 1660s.

New York City is full of streets and neighborhoods that still have their
original Dutch names - van Cortlandt, Gansevoort, New Utrecht, Spuyten
Duyvil, just to name a few.

Jon