Subject: Re: Remember Nederland??
Date: Nov 14, 2001 @ 14:55
Author: andrew@AndrewPatton.com (andrew@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...> wrote:
> Also, I have a question to whoever lives in Fairfax
> county (forgive me for forgetting who). I was looking
> at the Fairfax orthophoto site
> http://www.co.fairfax.va.us/scripts/esrimap.dll?name=ortho2&cmd=init
> and noticed they show a boundary within Fairfax City.
> Though the site do show other non-county boundaries,
> my curiosity was raised. I looked at an Atlas I
> borrowed from the library and it seems like some
> County courthouses are in there. So, what's the deal?
> Is it county buildings which are outside the county
> as Fairfax City is separate or is it an enclave.

The section inside Fairfax City is the Judicaiary Center housing the
Court House, Jail, and County Police. I had to go there a few years
ago for Jury Duty.

The other points on the map are some what interesting:

In the NW (In order of size) you have Dulles International Airport
which is also in Loudoun County (The border bisects one Runway),
Herdon, and Reston (Home of AOL).

In the NE you have a section that houses two federal agencies (the
Federal Highway Administration and the CIA).

In the center you have Fairfax City and Vienna.

In the SW you have Clifton.

In the S (along the western border of the county) you have Lorton
which houses/housed Washington DC's prison. The prison is in the
process of being closed. I do not remember what will happen to the
land.

In the SE you have several sections of Fort Belvoir.

Both Lorton and the Fort Belvoir sections have sections of Fairfax
county with in them creating enclave like situations.

-Andrew