Subject: Re: Remember Nederland??
Date: Nov 11, 2001 @ 23:15
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I believe the Fens have that name. The area is very flat and wet and
reminiscent of Holland, and for a good reason, too: parts of it were
made dry by Dutch engineers. Especially King's Lynn used to be a city
with very strong Dutch influences.

I believe that this occurs more often in the world: parts of the
Vistula delta in Poland were also made dry by the Dutch, and are
called Holland by the inhabitants. In St. Petersburg, there is the
city quarter with the old naval yard, called Novaja Gollandija (New
Holland).

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> Southeast Lincolnshire in England used to be called "Parts of
Holland". The
> foreign placenames, esp in New England may be naed for that
Holland, not the