Subject: Re: US counties, unincorprated territories
Date: Nov 07, 2001 @ 17:14
Author: andrew@AndrewPatton.com (andrew@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., PitHokie <pithokie@y...> wrote:
> Andrew,

> I thought the county had to
> agree to any annexation. Down in Montgomery County an
> area wanted to incorporate and become the town of
> Prices Fork, but somehow the county voted against it
> and the point became moot. I know this is slightly
> different, but I ran into similar issues locally with
> the expansion of a town (Blacksburg) into
> unincorporated county territory (Montgomery).
I think there is a difference between town and cities in Virginia.
Towns are still part of the county, they just run some services such
as police and schools themselves. Towns are created with the
permission of the county so changes can only be made with the consent
of the county. There are very few towns in Virginia

Cities on the other hand unlike towns run everything themselves.
Cities are created by the state and the state needs to ok changes
like annexation.

> DC is another interesting case altogether, as you've
> aluded to. It was supposed to be a square (diamond)
> shape, but for some reason gave Virginia's part back
> to the state and it later became Arlington and part of
> Alexandria.
>
> Any idea if the old borders are still marked anywhere?

The borders are still marked althogh the south west border marks the
border between Arlington County and Fairfax County & divided the city
of Alexandria into two parts (indicating what area was annexed from
Fairfax County and which is orginal). the Washington Post had an
article on these about 6 months ago.