Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] US counties, unincorprated territories
Date: Nov 07, 2001 @ 01:56
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

andrew
this is actually quite an extraordinary nicety

until you mentioned the peculiar power of independent cities to slurp up
adjacent lands
i had imagined independent cities were just another rather ordinary variant
on the basic county idea
no odder as tertiary entities that parishes in la or boroughs in ak

i mean
apart from the fact that they could coexist with counties in 4 odd states

but this is a whole nother dynamic

so if or whenever you can elaborate further here as well
please do