Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: dutch provinces -> oddities in terr. hierarchy
Date: Nov 06, 2001 @ 01:51
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

The NW corner of NSW is not part of any shire or city. It is termed
'unincorporated area' on maps.

Likewise French island, a rural holiday retreat in Western Port bay, Vic is
unincorporated, as are several offshore Vic. islands, and the Yallourn coal
mines in the La Trobe valley in SE Vic.

Much of south Australia is also unincorporated, with no local government
responsible for it. It was never subdivided for surveying purposes because
it's pretty inhospitable.
There's even a national park in NW SA that has no name. Maps say "unnamed
national park". It's THAT remote.

Chatham Islands NZ were a county when all of NZ was under county government.
But when the 'mainland' was rejigged into regions and districts in the
1980s, the chathams were left outside this, and remain the only county
government in NZ.

Various areas in England were extraparochial, which meant important things
when parishes were responsible for their own poor relief.

BW