Subject: Re: What is an enclave
Date: Nov 05, 2001 @ 22:55
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "m donner" <maxivan82@h...> wrote:
> & peter if you really dont like booze & cant stop it
> i would be afraid
> but i know you are only teasing us
> exquisitely as usual

Luckily you know, otherwise I would say: don't be afraid...

> & w h a t
> did you just say you stood corrected on

Not yet, not yet. I was saying that between 1949 and 1963, the West
Selfkant area was a part of the Netherlands, but not a municipality.
I think I read somewhere that the head of the area, the so-called
landdrost (a bit of a strange and ancient-sounding title to us Dutch)
had to report to the province of Limburg. This might not have been
the case. So I'm hoping for some more info on the administrative
situation back then. I know for instance that the inhabitants
remained Germans, but that they got a stamp in their passport that
read "being treated as Dutchman". They were afraid they would be
drafted in the army to go to the Dutch East Indies which at that time
were in the (bloody) process of becoming Indonesia, but as only Dutch
citizens could be drafted, and not "Germans treated as Dutchmen",
they had nothing to fear. It would have been strange for these people
to defend the colonies of a country that four years before had been
occupied by themselves...

Peter S.