Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] the abstract and the concrete
Date: Oct 30, 2001 @ 01:58
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

bend oregon
same day

>From: David
to doug

>You misunderstood. Another BoundaryPoint person posted the claim that
>there might be a gap, but I was citing Van Zandt as an authority that
>there is no gap, the northern boundary of Washington was defined at time
>of statehood to follow the US-British boundary (and NOT the 49th)

perhaps i am the other bp person you mean here david
but this is not at all what i meant

in fact this whole conversation about the 49th parallel was just a tangent
that grew out of someone wildly associating on a different topic i raised at
about the same time
namely my search for ors
the southernmost point of oregon

this search btw has progressed to the point of my now believing ors may
actually lie on the nvor line rather than the caor line
tho i am still studying maps

but anyway my point about there being an intervening federal maritime
territory between point roberts & the rest of washington state is also based
on van zandt aka bus&ss
who or which cites the federal law that normally limits state territorial
waters to 3nm

this detail around point roberts hasnt been picked up by usgs mapping tho
they do normally show the 3nm limits elsewhere
yet usgs still knows it is the law of the land

reading such maps may be why many people think point roberts is not an
exclave of washington state nor of whatcom county
but so far as i know this law compels that it is