Subject: Re: the abstract and the concrete
Date: Oct 25, 2001 @ 17:30
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

What you say about river boundaries is true, or at least partly
true. Boundaries have shifted with changing river courses. But this
usually leads to a recognition that using the river as the boundary
is not a good thing and the boundary is then defined by some other,
less variable, means.

I think nearly all boundary treaties specify that the boundary is to
be marked on the ground by a set of commissioners from each party.
Their agreement and the subsequent acceptance of the marked boundary
by the interested governments locks it in "as marked".

An interesting example is the Mass.-R.I. boundary near where I live.
The description of the starting point in the original RI charter says
it is 3 miles south of Populatic Pond, the southernmost point of the
Charles River. However the actual marked boundary is over 6 miles
south of that point (I think I know what went wrong). Nevertheless,
the as-marked boundary has been upheld in the US Supreme Court twice,
on the basis that the marked boundary overrides any written
description.

No doubt some California counties have had their boundaries kinked by
earthquakes unless, of course, the boundary followed the fault line
(not unreasonable since this might create a topological feature.)

BJB