Subject: Re: Black Sea maritime treaties
Date: Oct 23, 2001 @ 17:34
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Martin:
Thanks for the information.
> The two lines do not quite
> meet - there is a gap of 10" of latitude and 5" of longitude between
> their terminal points - but both agreements contain provisions for
> adjusting the final section of the boundary
This fits with a UN document I found about the Bulgaria-Turkish
treaty, which specified that definition of the precise termination of
the boundary awaited negotiation of the Bulgaria-Romania maritime
border.

> the map on the Veridian website is misleading.
This is the second time I've found negotiated boundaries marked on
that map where no treaty seems to exist. There's an odd little box in
the Caribbean, I think surrounding Seranilla Banks in the north of
Colombia's maritime claim. The area is also claimed by the USA, and a
US government website dated later than 1998 (the date on the
maritimeboundaries map) states that no agreement has been reached.
But the map shows the area completely bounded by multilateral
agreements.

Grant