Subject: Re: just joined the list; question about SW corner of PA, USA
Date: Oct 23, 2001 @ 13:46
Author: bjbutler@bjbsoftware.com (bjbutler@...)

Hi, Brendan. My brother, Gregg Butler, sent me this report after he
visited PASW in December, 1999. It might help you locate the point.
Be sure to buy a slab of bacon from the general store in nearby
Cameron, WV:

>From US250, I found Georgetown Rd at the UTM coordinates you
provided. I followed this for about half a mile to an unmarked fork
where a dirt road went off to the right. I continued on the main road
for another half mile until I realized it was going too far off to
the north. I returned to the fork and proceeded on the dirt road.
The GPS track matched the shape of the road on the map so i figured
it was the right way. Incidently, there are a lot of roads and other
development here that do not appear on the map. How old is that map?

Anyway, I proceeded to a point where the GPS indicated a bearing of
0.2 mi south to the UTM coordinates for the tripoint you provided. I
looked around but found no evidence of any markers near the road.
The map shows the road terminating at this point but in fact, it
continues a short distance to a T intersection, the right being a
driveway, the left being a road heading north into PA. From the 0.2
mi point, I hiked down a steep grade into a hollow, crossing a rough
jeep trail along the way (not on map). At the bottom of the hollow
there was a confluence of two small (almost dry) streams. At this
point I was within striking distance of the corner so, I proceeded to
look around hoping the corner was not in the stream bed lest any
marker would have probably been washed away. In the course of my
search, I climbed up the opposite bank of the stream (very steep) and
found a substantial monument marked as I mentioned before. In
thinking about it, I probably only climbed 50 yds or even less, but
the incline was about 30% making it seem farther. Above the monument
is another jeep road and a small hunting cabin (also not on map). I
understand the problem of reconciling the terrain encountered with
that of the the map but nevertheless, that's what's there. If
anything, I approached the corner from the NW rather than true N. I
wish I had the real map as my copy (with my scribbling on it) makes
it nearly impossible to read in any detail. To double check, here are
the coordinates still in my GPS:

NAD27 CONUS UTM

US250/Georgetown Rd: 17 S 0539800 4396980
0.2 mi pt: Dead reckoned (no coordinates recorded)
PASW corner: 17 S 0541180 4396720

I found the momument where GPS closed to within 50 ft.

Regards,
BJB

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., pithokie@y... wrote:
> First, I want to say it's great to find this list! I am
particularly