Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] WDC and Puerto Rico
Date: Oct 18, 2001 @ 15:28
Author: Anton Sherwood (Anton Sherwood <bronto@...>)

Okay, I'll flaunt my ignorance ...

Mats Hessman wrote:
> District of Columbia
> -
> What was the rationale for making the area
> diamond shaped, if any? And why is it not
> a "complete" diamond? Was once Arlington
> intended to be part of DC?

The Constitution specifies that the federal seat shall be a "district
(not exceeding ten miles square)". The southern part of the square
reverted to Virginia with the secession, and became Arlington County
(from which the city of Alexandria was later cut out).

> Puerto Rico
> -
> What is the current status of Puerto Rico
> with regard to the US? Are there reasons to
> expect any change of status in the forseeable
> future?

Citizens of Puerto Rico are US citizens, but have no vote in Washington;
in exchange, PR has tax and regulatory advantages.

Statehood is occasionally proposed, but few on PR seem to want it.
There is an independence movement among the educated elites; some have
said that it consists of people who would get jobs as diplomats in such
a case.

> American flag
> -
> I understand that the US flag has undergone
> changes each time new states have entered the
> union.

When Vermont and Kentucky were admitted, the flag went to fifteen stars
and fifteen stripes. But it was soon seen that adding stripes would
soon become impractical, so the stripes were fixed at thirteen. Was
there ever a flag of 13 stripes and 15 stars?

I can't get to "Flags of the World" (a big website with multiple
mirrors) right now.

--
Anton Sherwood -- br0nt0@... -- http://ogre.nu/
............ unemployment 2002, here i come! ............