Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Some one got inspired....
Date: Oct 12, 2001 @ 22:24
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: "Harry
>Holland is only a part of The Netherlands.
>Isn't it strange that Holland is more used than the proper name?
>I wouldn't be surprised if more people in the world know Holland better
>than
>The Netherlands.

yes
right
i wouldve preferred holland because it uses fewer keystrokes
but i agree correctness is better than brevity

for me the really strange part about the word netherlands
tho not the country the netherlands
is the austrian netherlands

like that sounds as weird to me as the tibetan riviera

>Further, why do they call a Netherlander a Dutchman??

i think only because they are anglo & confused about who the dutch are & who
the germans are

this mistake is perhaps most common in pennsylvania

>To take it even further; our country is called Nederland, so why should it
>be translated???

precisely
& now if i say nederland
then i can still save some keystrokes
can avoid any possible confusion
& can also be impeccably correct all at once

>Btw I'am not a chauvinist.
thats obvious
chauvin was a jerk anyway
i am an everyonese terraist myself