Subject: Re: Capitals vs. Borders
Date: Oct 02, 2001 @ 23:02
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> Maseru, the capital of Lesotho, is definitely very
> near the border if not on it.
Yep, another good one, and again on a river. Liechtenstein, too, has
a capital just across the river from another country. On the topic of
small countries, I don't know enough about San Marino - the capital
must be pretty close to the border, but how are the city limits
defined? (On that note, I do now wonder about Brunei, since the
capital seems to be a good few km up the coast from the border,
although I don't have a good enough map to detect urban sprawl.)

It seems to me that if we exclude Vatican and Monaco as being
countries that are *all* capital, than almost all our examples
exhibit the propensity for towns and borders to gather at water
courses - given enough capital towns and enough borders, eventually
some of them are going to end up together. The one exception that
must have an interesting story is Lome in Togo, which seems to have
no particular reason to be wedged where it is, against a land border.
(Jerusalem too might shake down in all sorts of interesting ways, of
course, borderwise and everywise.)

Grant