Subject: Exclaves of exclaves
Date: Sep 04, 2001 @ 20:13
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> technically tho
> arent such thingies just quirks of political subdivision
> & isnt an exclave of an exclave still just another exclave of the
homeland

Well, sort of yes, sort of no. People who live on Sark in the Channel
Islands get some of their administration locally, some from Guernsey
(of which Sark is a dependency) and their international politics and
defence from the U.K. (of which Guernsey is a dependency). Whereas
Guernsey gets its administration locally and its international
affairs from the U.K. - no intermediate tier of government.
Similarly, if you wanted to land on one of the Ile Glorieuses, you'd
seek permission from Reunion, not directly from France.
So I do feel there's a difference - a sort of sub-letting of
administrative responsibility - which doesn't occur in your example
of a higher-order enclave, which is still directly responsible to the
home government. A higher order enclave is only topologically
different from other enclaves, not administratively.

Grant