Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: MNNDSD Carefully
Date: Aug 27, 2001 @ 21:35
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

yes
now we are talking some leading edge punctology here

so to repeat & elaborate
the usgs was completely embarrassed by & indeed clueless about settling this
question
tho they did evidently disgorge the full contents of their useless file to
me

however
your idea brian of going to the 3 county land offices involved is the
necessary breakthru
i think

so go go go & i will cheer you on

possibly also
the 3 state govt libraries involved might be searched electronically now
better than i was able to do years ago
for any interstate boundary compacts on file there

also worth observing
there really isnt any good reason i am aware of to suppose that anyone in
1891 knew or might have known the position of the river in 1858

so i think there is a good likelihood that the 1891 ndsd survey initial
point 9 chains east of the witness monument was then considered & is still
the operative mnndsd tripoint

of course this still leaves unexplained why the usgs topo places the mnndsd
tripoint about 80 feet east of the witness monument
& it would be foolhardy to just write this probability off before we are
absolutely sure it is a mistake
even tho we know of at least 2 other such usgs tripoint mistakes
especially as this is the exact position shown in my photo formerly hanging
at the corner corner

but i am inclined to believe both that 80foot photo position & your 135foot
photo position will ultimately go down before the original 9chain or 594foot
position

& this whether it falls in the river today or not

& it may still be too soon for certainty
but as i said
i am pretty sure the necessary remeasurements will be easiest to make in a
hard freeze