Subject: Re: Kerguelen and McDonald/Heard _do_ border, EEZ-wise!
Date: Aug 17, 2001 @ 21:21
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

You are absolutely right, and I apologise right away.

I think it is just that I am so focussed on Kerguelen, as I find it
one of the most fascinating places on earth. It is actually quite
big, but so little is known about it.

On another subject: although I think you are doing a wonderful job
mapping all these 200 nm areas, it still has to be born in mind that
continental shelf areas can equally be claimed as EEZ. Although these
EEZ are not quite the same as the 200 nm ones. But as these
extended "EEZ" areas still have to do with (some sort of)
sovereignty, it would be interesting to know which countries have
claimed what areas beyond the 200 nm, and which countries have
actually concluded treaties amongst themselves (disregarding every
other nation involved, as it previously was "everyones land"), and
are now in possession (only recognised by the treaty counterpart, to
be sure) of a chunk of EEZ outside the 200 nm.

I think the case of the North Pole being Danish (or so claims DK) is
such a case. And I am still wondering about the "box" boundary around
Spitsbergen, and a similar structure around the Seychelles.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@c...>