Subject: Re: oops
Date: Aug 11, 2001 @ 21:45
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> I'm not ticked off in the least. I'm not even sure what topic I
> would be ticked off about.

Two nations divided by a single language!
British usage, as in "I ticked him off" implies I have stood over you
and wagged a finger and told you you're a bad person for not
celebrating the millennium at the start of 2000. (You might of course
be entitled to become (US) ticked off in response.)
You're right about my guilty conscience, though - I felt I hadn't
been clear enough in my first off-the-cuff millennium remarks, so I
was feeling the need to apologise for the apparent ticking-off I had
delivered to all 2001-celebrants.
But my guess now is that you didn't feel ticked off in either sense.
Which is good.

Grant