Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: markers on river banks
Date: Aug 02, 2001 @ 00:44
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Older maps and some current ones, when showing a boundary (dashed line) that
follows al inear featuere (road, but particularly river), put alternate
dashes on opposite sides of the feature to show it runs along the feature
and not parallel to it on one side. This may be a result of British mapping,
as parish boundaries sometimes ran 3 feet or some other distance inside a
fence or hedgeline. On a large scale map (ie 1:10 000) you could note this,
but on smaller scales you needed a symbol. So a dootted line on one side of
a hedge, river, fence,road implies the boundary is parallel to the feature,
not coincident with it.
BW