Subject: Re: markers on river banks
Date: Jul 31, 2001 @ 13:33
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I think it's the same as in Europe. The only thing that puzzles me
are the boundary markers along the delu condominial rivers. They make
less sense to me, because the condominium boundary can easily be
marked at the exact location of the boundary. Maybe they are a bit
further up the river bank to protect them from flooding? But in that
case they could have been placed higher up still, because where they
are standing now they are not secure, too.

BTW: Wolfgang mentions exactly the same purpose for these markers as
you do: "indirekte Vermarkung, auch Abzielsteine" (see
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/files/delu/BorderPointemai
l.doc ).

The "neutral roads" along denl are a bit like rivers, too, with the
boundary marker pairs on both side of them. I think in these cases
the boundary follows the middle of the road, but you don't want to
but your markers there, of course.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@a...> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Some of the recent discussions on markers along the banks of border
rivers
> has intrigued me. I'm not sure about why they are located along
some rivers
> in Europe, but along US-Canada riverine borders, border markers are
located
> along the riverfronts. They are erected and maintained by the
International