Subject: Re: virgin country
Date: Jul 30, 2001 @ 23:55
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> that is if any guano rocks were available or habitable
> & we have not heard of or from a one yet
I don't think we can claim guano rocks for Everyone's Land. The UN
excludes rocks that cannot sustain habitation *or economic life of
their own* from use in a maritime claim (though I guess a country
could still claim the rock itself). Prescott says that a rock that
was regularly used to collect guano would qualify as having economic
activity sufficient for a maritime claim. Although lawyers could
argue profitably forever about that word "regularly", it looks like a
guano rock might potentially carve a 200nm circle *out of* Everyone's
Land.
I presume this is the basis for Brazil's maritime claim around the
Peter and Paul Rocks, which are about as "habitable" as Rockall.

Grant