Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Baarle Military Map
Date: Jun 25, 2001 @ 19:48
Author: Bernhard (Bernhard <tardis@...-net.de>)

Dear Peter,

thank you for the prompt reply.

Peter Smaardijk wrote:

> It looks like a regular 1:25k Belgian topo map to me. Why it is
> called a military map I don't know. Probably because at the time the
> National Geographical Institute of Belgium belonged to the armed
> forces (I don't know if this was the case, but I do know in a lot of
> countries this _is_ the case).

I used the designation "military map" as it is used by others on the
Internet.

> You can probably get them from any good map shop in Belgium. In the
> Netherlands, I know some shops that probably will have these maps on
> sale. Perhaps you can order them by mail, but you should ask Brendan,
> he is the expert on that.
>
> I will have a look tomorrow at my local map shop. Perhaps I'll buy
> the map myself.

If you do go there, perhaps you could tell me how much the map is, or how to
contact the shop. Thanks.

> BTW, it's not only in the north that enclaves are missing. You should
> have a map with the complete territory of the two municipalities
> (Baarle-Hertog and Baarle-Nassau), then you will have all enclaves
> too.

That is correct, a number of the other exclaves are a little further afield
and would have to be catered for by inserts (like the southern insert in the
map file I have). I don't know whether the entire map sheet would cover all
that.

Would be interesting to know though.

Besides depicting an area of extreme interest, I find it is rather a
good-looking piece of cartography.

Best Wishes

Bernhard