Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] first known map of hnnisv tridominium & its trilines & tripoint
Date: Oct 29, 2006 @ 20:54
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

yikes but no
for here is the 1900 hnni text verbatim per the ibs
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS036.pdf

In the various applicable documents, the boundary has
been described as follows:
(1) From the point known by the name of Amatillo, in
the lower part of the river
Negro, the dividing line is a straight line run toward
the volcano of Cosiguina in an
astronomical direction S 86° 30' W, 36.8 kilometers
[23 miles] to the middle point of
the bay of Fonseca, equidistant from the coasts of the
two Republics on this side;
and from that point follows the division of the waters
of the bay along a line also
equidistant from the said coasts until it reaches the
middle of the distance lying
between the northern part of Cosiguina (Monypenny)
Point and the southern part of
Tigre Island.

& this dry & wet geodetic segment of hnni is easily
discernible at the tightest zoom level at encarta
where the volcano cosiguina & the rio negro are both
clearly labeled
& the amatillo point terminus can be inferred as
described
& the other terminus at the midpoint of the bay of
fonseca can be interpolated
as can the midpoint where hnni terminates between
monypenny or cosiguina point aka punta san jose &
tigre island
both of which are labeled on the other map
http://www.laprensa.com.sv/nacion/Las%20aguas%20en%20condominio.pdf

& the astonishing result is neither of the situations
we envisioned quite
but rather something actually in between them

for the seaward terminal point of maritime hnni as
described proves to lie a bit more than 4nm from the
nearest salvadoran territory
namely on isla meanguera

so it turns out that hn & ni actually did divvy up the
bay beyond their 3nm belts in 1900 yet not quite as
far as the salvadoran 3nm belt
& that the icj reaffirmed this in 1992
leaving a spot no more than about 3nm wide in any
direction as the inner tridominium triarea

thus the trijunction triarea is scarcely bigger than
it would have been if it were only a tripoint
in a manner of speaking

& i think that really does conclude our preliminary
tridominioscopy
with the outer or exclave triarea now proving to be
something on the order of 100 times larger than the
inner one

& of course i would like to see or create a good map
of all this
but i think we already have a fair & true picture of
it in our minds eye

thanx & bravos

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701512830/Gulf_of_Fonseca.html

http://www.laprensa.com.sv/nacion/Las%20aguas%20en%20condominio.pdf
> the outer triarea will comprise more than 100 square
> nautical miles of combined territorial & internal
> seas
>
> while the inner one
> being perhaps equally as long or longer but nowhere
> near as wide
> will comprise only a small fraction of that area
>
> --- "Lowell G. McManus" <lgm@...> wrote:
>
> > When I wrote of an inner sinus within the gulf's
> > southeastern lobe that
> > was surrounded by the littoral belts of Honduras
> and
> > Nicaragua, I was
> > not looking at the LA PRENSA sketch map, the link
> > which had been lost
> > at the time. What I thought I remembered as
> > littoral belt overlap
> > between these two states in the vicinity of the
> > kilometer scale was
> > erroneous. While there is an inner sinus (whether
> > partitioned or not),
> > it does involve about a mile of closure by the
> > Salvadorian littoral belt
> > at its western end.
> >
> > You are correct that our next resort must be to
> the
> > 1917 volume of AJIL
> > or another source of the 1900 HNNI agreement.
> >
> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

=== message truncated ===

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
(http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)