Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: That enigmatic English quadripoint
Date: Sep 05, 2006 @ 16:01
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

great thanx nicky & all clear as well

& we are necessarily splitting hairs here
for which i do apologize in the normal world
yet it is among our greatest pleasures to do exactly
this

& my superimposed arrowheads are in fact
uncontrollably slobbery
as you do so rightly suggest
so i make all the more profuse apologies for these in
particular

in fact
we find all these electronic cursor points have a
little play in them
& so we dont normally take them quite so literally &
punctiliously as all the rest
but your care on this level of detail is extremely
appreciated

right on & hear here

& if you are placing the quadriconvergence precisely
on the blue line here
http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=501925&y=305710&z=4&sv=501925,305710&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
then i find we do differ in our readings by at least
some 2mm on my viewing screen
or about 35 meters or more on the ground

& this is a particularly difficult map & point to read
but i make our target out at the exact intersection of
the centers of the four intermittent but fully
projectible thick black county border lines
which all do appear to me to meet & intersect upon the
carriageway embankment
& indeed closer to the roadway than anyone might ever
like to go looking for a marker
on what is probably a narrow overpass viaduct besides

anyone except us nuts that is

in fact
believe it or not
boundarypoint was actually born on just such a
quadripointing expedition
on the shoulder of just such an otherwise unpleasantly
forbidding highway

in downtown toontown usa in our case
aka laorospo
for lake orange osceola & polk counties

so no absolute nor at all urgent need for you to even
slow down there on the expressway in stamford
let alone stop
yikes
but ultimately thats where i think this prize may or
may not yet be found
rather than anywhere else in that neighborhood

smack on the southbound shoulder if any
of the great north road

--- Nicky Gardner <nicky@...> wrote:

> Alethiak
>
> Sorry, I really misled you there. I meant to type
> 100 metres east of
> the Sean Blanchflower point of 019057. Not 1000
> metres. In the
> article I gave the grid reference at 020057 - ie.
> 100 metres east of
> Sean. The weblinks to map extracts you give are
> helpful but the
> superimposed arrowheads do not precisely pinpoint
> the target spot. I
> think the quadripoint lies exactly on the vertical
> blue grid line
> (grid line 02) on the OS map. Sean suggests it lies
> just west of
> that grid line. Either way, it's a rather
> unappealing spot,
> cartographically engaging to be sure, but dominated
> by the noise of
> many heavy trucks thundering by above.
>
> Helpful, I hope? Or am I just confusing matters
> more? Perhaps
> someone here will take a pic and post it here soon.
> If not, I
> promise I'll stop next time I'm in that part of
> England.
> Nicky
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia
> kallos
> <aletheiak@...> wrote:
> >
> > thanx nicky
> >
> > glad you are back
> > & so pleasingly mobile too
> >
> > & not at all sure i understand this grid reference
> > system yet
> >
> > & still guessing the quadripoint if any is up on
> the
> > northeast shoulder of the carriageway
> > above & midway between the stream & railway
> > underpasses
> > based on a close reading of the 4 boundaries etc
> shown
> > on this best known map
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?

x=501925&y=305710&z=4&sv=501925,305710&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&sear
> chp=newsearch.srf
> > the fairly well aimed center of which produces a
> grid
> > conversion of
> > tf 019057
> > per
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?
> name=501925,305710&type=OSGrid
> >
> > so to that extent i can & do very approximately
> agree
> > with sean blanchflower
> > even while i am up on the expressway abutment
> looking
> > down toward him in the creek bed with my neck
> craned
> > slightly left
> > yet close enough to share the same grid reference
> > number
> > or in other words the same hundred meter square
> > if i understand correctly
> >
> > 1000 meters east of there i get roughly this new
> map
> > center point
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?

x=502915&y=305765&z=4&sv=502915,305765&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&sear
> chp=newsearch.srf
> > which produces a grid conversion of tf 029057 per
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?
> name=502915,305765&type=OSGrid
> >
> > & in order to produce your suggested grid
> conversion
> > of tf 020057
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?GridConvert?
> name=502020,305730&type=OSGrid
> > i believe i would have to be at about the
> arrowhead
> > location here
> > http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?

x=502075&y=305745&z=4&sv=502075,305745&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&sear

http://www.blanchflower.org/tripoints/ca-nh-ru-li.html
> of
> > > all the stamford
> > > commotion here