Subject: but more urgently is this really cmlinarl at all or rather linapbrl
Date: Jul 19, 2006 @ 18:42
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

nice observation by lowell
& heres the topo again to help see it & what follows
http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=501950&y=305765&z=4&sv=501950,305765&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

& i cant judge the probabilities of what the
quadripoint marker if any will look like
but i do see that the lincolnshire rutland border he
referred to is depicted in the most immediate
quadriarea not along the margin of but actually within
& atop the highway embankment
which was once the main roman high road there btw
&
this border at least appears to run directly adjacent
to the southbound carriageway just there

& also noticed that the upstream or rutland
northamptonshire boundary convergent is depicted as
following the present channel as far as the overpass
but the downstream one is shown emerging from the
overpass well beside the present stream channel
which was probably pushed aside there by the railway
embankment

nor is it clear from the topo where the quadripoint
itself actually lies
even after the red arrow is removed by recentering the
map
but the multiconjunction of the borders certainly
looks closer to the rail bed than the stream bed just
there

so a best guessed position might be along the highway
abutment in between the railway & stream underpasses

of more urgent importance for now tho is a different
sort of question that also came to my attention while
i was perusing the map again
which is
is this really cambridgeshire county aka cm at all
here
or is it not rather the peterborough unitary authority
aka pb
since 1998
as shown in dark green here
http://www.gos.gov.uk/goeast/our_region/272094/peterkf/
& which is said to be only ceremonially linked but no
longer politically linked to the county of
cambridgeshire
oops

reference maps differ about this detail
& about whether peterborough is within or beside
cambridgeshire
& some dont even show a quadripoint at all
so i surmise that whatever this is may be of recent
composition
or at least involve a recent addition by geopolitical
revision
but my guess is that english unitary authorities are
much like the independent cities of virginia in being
the equivalents of counties rather than parts of
counties

hence gb2en3linapbrl rather than cmlinarl is my
revised guess for the name

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus" <lgm@...> wrote:

> From the topo map, it looks as though the county
boundary has been
> altered in modern times to conform to the northeast
margin of the A-1
> expressway's right-of-way. Notice how it bulges to
include the jug
> handles at the interchanges and the slopes of the
cuts. Of course, this
> doesn't diminish whatever political reality the
quadripoint has. It
> does mean, though, that it's vastly more likely to
be demarcated by a
> modern highway survey marker placed by civil
servants than by an ancient
> and curiously inscribed rock placed by Druids.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

cmlinarl

in

> >> yet
> >> within england
> >> what could qualify as more major state lines than
> > these
> >
> > or to rephrase the question
> > are the county boundaries not the most major lines
of
> > state that exist in england
> >
> > & or
> > isnt the unique cmlinarl quadricounty point of
england
> > her most major multipoint
> > as well as the most major multipoint of all
britannia
> > if not also of the entire uk for that matter
> > save eez tripoints & the south pole
> >

> > & i really do need help on this positive
> > identification because i want to make the best &
most
> > & truest of it
> > so as to fairly inspire someone to actually go &
check