Subject: Re: easternmost france one last time
Date: Jul 08, 2006 @ 11:36
Author: XML ("XML" <x.maillard@...>)

> first it seems new caledonia is no longer considered outre mer
> so please forget the specific bits about domtom or ultramarine
> oops hard to keep track of french territorial categories

AFAIK French Overseas currently include:

- Collectivités d'Outre-Mer (overseas territories: Corsica, Mayotte,
Saint-Pierre-&-Miquelon), with some local autonomy. These islands
used to be counties (departements), but this former status was not
efficient for them, so it was eventualy changed into collectivité
départementale or collectivité territoriale. People use Euro as
currency and these territories are part of France and of the
European Union.

- Départements d'Outre-Mer (overseas counties, which are fully part
of France and of the EU - the same as in mainland France - :
Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyane & Réunion island), with the same law
as in mainland France. Of course, they have the Euro as currency.

- Pays d'Outre-Mer (overseas countries: New Caledonia, French
Polynesia). They don't have the Euro as currency (but a Franc
Pacifique). They are part of France but are considered as «Pays et
territoires d'outre-mer» (Overseas countries and territories)
associated to the EU. They are not part of the Schengen agreement.
In 2014 New Caledonia will have a poll to decide if the inhabitants
want to get independance or to remain French.

St.Martin and St.Barths, currently part of Guadeloupe, will
certainly soon become collectivité d'Outre-Mer (like Mayotte and
SPM).

Iles Éparses (Bassas da India, Europa, îles Glorieuses, Juan de Nova
et Tromelin) have a specific status (part of France, not part of the
EU).

So it is not easy to determine which ultramarine COM, POM or DOM do
constitute the easternmost/westernmost/southernmost points of France
(nothernmost point being - I assume - Miquelon).

The status of Matthew & Hunter seems to be like Spanish Sahara.

> for some reason i wasnt expecting uninhabitable
> islands to be used for eez projections
> but they evidently are fair game

Clipperton island (with EEZ), which is part of France, is also
uninhabitated.