Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: ellicott mound prospects in louisiana was bp msgs 18443ff
Date: May 29, 2006 @ 00:21
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <lgm@...>)

Thanks, Mike, for the Ellicott article.

My message this afternoon was to cheer Robert on in his efforts to get
us what he has on Ellicott's mounds along LAMS.

The evolution and status of my previous research and conjecture toward
locating an Ellicott mound on LAMS can be summarized by looking at BP
posts 18516, 18531, 18545, and 18571. Also see your reply to the last
at 18575.

John Shankland's confirmation from the White book, as reported in 18571,
that the public land survey is out of sync with Ellicott's mounds and
the news that the single initial point of both the Washington and St.
Helena Meridians is unmarked threw cold water on my plans for an
expedition to photograph the initial point for John and an Ellicott
mound for us. I did make a very successful trip to bag the initial
point of the Louisiana Meridian, which is in a bottomland swamp. (See
http://www.pmproject.org/LaPM.htm where John placed my photos and some
of my commentary.) John, however, never replied to my request for more
information from the White book as to just how the Washington Meridian
was selected and how much it is off from the beat of Ellicott's rhythm.

At the very end of your reply 18546 to my 18545, you wrote that Jack has
a copy of the White book and that he might perhaps provide the needed
information. If we could get that and the information presumably
forthcoming from Robert, I think I'd have everything necessary to
facilitate an expedition.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA