Subject: epic of amkesh book iv no relation to gilgamesh
Date: May 18, 2006 @ 04:15
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

so i hit the library to make the topo prints
foolishly neglecting to copy the amkesh aerial pic as
well
&
soon pulled in at the farmhouse shown just northwest
of the mysterious ctny marker 24
it being the only suspected classmate of amkesh aka
ctny marker 32
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4635788&e=624333&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
where i chanced to meet the resident quarryman &
farmer of the dell

his spread is actually named border valley stone &
mulch
rather poetically i thought

& i immediately gifted him the topo of his property
since i no longer needed it

& after his questioning & my presenting my bona fides
as a tripointing & state line nut
we continued to hit it off
& he soon realized & explained he knew this marker
well
& helped me to it

it turned out to be a perfectly ordinary 1909 model
numbered only 1909
& with nowhere a 24 on it nor any other clue to its
purported 24ness
albeit partially hidden by the state line hedgerow

so no wonder i missed seeing it from the road on the
previous pass btw

& what a rude awakening it was also
from any exotic dreams of finding an 1860 or 1731
model there
as well as from any hope of solving the numbering
aspect of the amkesh puzzle with its help

& no encouragement to think the amkesh marker any
different
or any more special
even if it was one of the few known ctny tritown
markers

but this border valley guy soon also revealed he also
knows & loves an older monument nearby too
which he explained he had personally replanted as best
he could after it fell out of a stone wall he was
removing at the time
& offered to show this one to me too
which he soon did
in the cow pasture on the other side of the stone
works

it is not shown on the topo
& is about halfway back toward the roadstone on route
343

& sure enough an 1860 model
voila & eureka
just like the fragments scattered about the ctmany
tristate marker
but entire & standing nearly erect in the pasture

very likely the last survivor of its class in the
world

a simply elegant 2 to 3 foot tall rough marble
obeliskoid inscribed only ny in serify caps on one
side & ct in same style but upper & lower case on the
other side

numbering as well as everything else conspicuously
absent

worth returning for a pic some day
but again no help solving the amkesh mystery

& far from being a show stopper
this extraordinary find only catapulted me back or
onward toward amkesh again
which was actually only a few miles farther south from
there

but this time with the topo actually in hand
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4627724&e=624018&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
& no matter that i had forgotten the aerial pic &
still didnt have gps

for how could i miss now
& how hard could this be anyway

when i pulled back into my regular parking spot on
clark hill road
i found the amazing portent of a whole herd of deer
mixing with a whole flock of turkeys
all just grazing & waiting for me there in the meadow
& i snuck back in thru my customary holes in the fence
& bushes
inching my way toward them all

funny how returning for a retry helps you feel like
you own the place
which of course you do
seeing as the world really is equally free for all

or so they all seemed to be saying

but i found having the topo actually in hand &
available for checking every detail this time
& the sun actually visible in the sky for navigation
really were a great help & reassurance

the foregathered multitude eventually caught wind or
sight of me
& soon scattered in all directions
rather many of them actually leading the way for me
toward amkesh
as honor guard

quite a sight & a treat

soon after i passed the second brook again
i realized that my earlier try without navigation aid
had indeed gone seriously awry at about that point

& my straying so badly from the mental map just there
in the final few hundred feet of the approach
which had then actually caused me to veer a good deal
too far east & straight up the hill i had actually
needed to skirt at that point
was owing to the fact that the trail was actually
heavily intersected & braided in that area
& as i had really had no clear recollection of the
topography at that point
i had simply picked up & followed the wrong thread

the 15 year old sky pic is misleading too in so
clearly showing only a single trail
& in not at all suggesting the present state of
reality
which is that it is necessary to pick ones way from
among many trails

but i congratulated myself for having come so far &
gotten so close on so little anyway
& rejoiced to think i still had good prospects for
scoring class a

but again when i came to retry the now somewhat
revised target area
based on the now visible topo & my recollection of the
sky pic
& i scoured the neighborhood for any of the above rock
styles among possibly others
there was again nothing to be found

i checked my bearings & measurements from both the
point where the gas pipeline crosses the creek & the
point where its next cresting to the south is depicted

then doublechecked my measurements & topography
& finally even triple checked them
after success proved elusive again & again at 550 foot
range

& yikes did i feel silly for neglecting to bring the
sky pic again this time

bewilderment set in once again

& at length a decision to suspend the try & head back
to the truck

but
at the final extremity of my one last foray to the
south
which i made impulsively just in case & for good
measure
as i said to myself
& at a point i well knew was already 150 or 200 feet
too far south
based on my several careful measurements from the topo
there i finally found what i concluded must be the
amkesh marker
hiding in a clump of larger rocks

unexpectedly it looked nothing like either a 1909 nor
an 1860 model

but in fact a moss covered concrete obeliskoid
somewhat midway between these 2 styles
& probably somewhat midway between these dates too
with a dimple at the apex into which i could & did
stick a pinky halfway

no inscription apparent at first

closer scrutiny revealed a single 2 digit number high
on the south face

great excitement

but i couldnt read it with my eyes
& only with my fingertips did i realize the first
digit was indeed a 3

greater excitement as i groped to fill in the expected
deuce to its right

& the second digit was
my fingers soon realized
not a 2
tho i was by then almost certain it would be
but a 5

yikes

no doubt about it

a 35 rather than a 32
hahahahaha
of no known style
hahaha
& on the state line ok but clearly not quite in the
right place

so a mixture of exultation & renewed befuddlement

at this point all i can think of is that this most
gratifying & special find might actually be a kesh
marker rather than any ctny marker per se

so to test that possible explanation
i will try for another kesh marker somewhere else next
most likely at the other terminus
or rather on the riverbank just beside the tripoint
cokesh
aka cornwall kent sharon
in the middle of the housatonic here
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4627488&e=632090&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
since no other kesh rocks but the amkesh baby are
shown on the topo
& since kesh is evidently a single geodesic line with
perhaps as few as just these 2 markers to find it by

but that
& my notification of the kent & sharon tax assessors
offices that their entire border demarcation is very
likely seriously screwed up
will have to wait for book v

on my way back out i was overtaken by a local
landowner on an orv with a shotgun mounted on front
who was fortunately not at all bothered by my
tresspassing & who had just seen a 6 foot bear a few
hundred yards still farther to the south

a few minutes later as i reached the jumpoff area once
again
one last vine stretched out & detained me for a moment
longer before i could extricate myself & get back to
the van
as if to say thanx again for the visits & memories on
behalf of all of us veggies brooks clouds rocks &
other critters

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=12&Z=18&X=779&Y=5784&W=1&qs=%7ckent%\

http://maps.google.com/?ll=41.799343,-73.498278&spn=0.031417,0.058537&t=h&
> > > om=1
> > >
> > > but instead of leading to any such narrow
> clearcut
> > > the cleared area simply ends at about that point
> &
> > > feeds there into a woodland trail that does
> > however
> > > pretty much follow the depicted pipeline route
> > >
> > > & tho it zigzags a good deal more than the
> > pipeline
> > > depiction does
> > > i could follow it without difficulty across both
> > of
> > > the brooks shown
> > > exactly as i had expected to be able to follow
> the

=== message truncated ===